Why do we learn government and politics?
To think critically about the world around us and recognising our role in society through:
- Understanding our political system
- Analysing different perspectives to develop critical solutions
- Acquiring the tools to engage with, and better our communities through democratic systems
In politics we utilise Ark’s pedagogical approach which ensures extensive in-class discussions and debate, extended writing and oracy development, frequent checks for understanding, clear modelling, and opportunities for practices.
Within the course, students:
- Participate in teacher led, self-guided and collaborative study to ensure students have an exceptional grasp of the history of democracy in the UK and the USA
- Engage critically with domestic and international current affairs and political issues, enabling students to understand political discourse and contemporary events
- Analyse traditional and social media to identify communication methods
- Practice and develop sound essay writing skills through modelling and deliberate practices and feedback.
- Undertake systematic guided revision.