Within the department there are many opportunities for students to develop Christian values, which support the Academy Christian Ethos. We teach and actively encourage respect between students and other adults in all lessons and this is evident when listening quietly to others opinions, for example. We promote forgiveness in lessons, by encouraging students to reconcile and accept differences in opinion yet promote courage in speaking out loud and sharing opinions with peers. We explore the importance of community by relating to local and true to life case studies when exploring theoretical concepts. Within assessments and independent work we encourage self-control and stillness to promote reflection and deeper thought. We endorse endurance and reverence, especially when considering extending reports and essays which can span the entirety of a term to complete. Honestly is an important element in the teaching of malpractice, particularly around formal coursework submission.
Head of Department
The Tech Award gives learners the opportunity to develop applied knowledge in the following areas:
- the life stages and key characteristics in the physical, intellectual, emotional and social (PIES) development classifications and the different factors that can affect an individual’s growth and development
- different life events and how individuals can adapt or be supported through changes caused by life events
- health and social care conditions, how they can be managed by the individual and the different health and social care services that are available
- the barriers and obstacles an individual may encounter and how these can be overcome
- the skills, attributes and values required to give care and how these benefit the individual
- how factors can affect an individual’s current health and wellbeing
- how physiological indicators and an individual’s lifestyle choices determine physical health
- the use of the person-centred approach
- recommendations and actions to improving health and wellbeing and the barriers or obstacles individuals may face when following recommendations and the support available to overcome.